Home Remedies for Food Poisoning and Stomach Flu
Had dinner out last night and now suffering from occasional stomach pain, nausea, gas or vomiting. Thinking about which stomach ailment you are suffering from: Stomach Flu or Food Poisoning?? It is a general tendency among people to get confuse between these 2 stomach ailments. It is quite obvious for common man to get confused, as the symptoms of the 2 ailments are very much similar.
What is Food Poisoning?
Food poisoning is also known as botulism. It is one of the common stomach ailments, generally mild in nature but in rare cases it becomes severe. The main cause behind food poisoning is the contaminated food. Bacteria forms toxin substance in improperly stored or cooked food, which when eaten causes food poisoning. The other possible causes for food poisoning are
- Toxic agents like pesticides on vegetables and fruits, poisonous mushrooms or improperly cooked food.
- Infective agents such as bacteria, viruses and parasites.
- Food can also be contaminated due to unhygienic preparation.
The symptoms of food poisoning vary with the amount and type of contaminated food eaten. Usually the symptoms develop within 2-48 hours after eating contaminated food. The common symptoms observed during food poisoning are
- Abdominal pain
- Low grade fever
- Muscle ache
What is Stomach Flu?
Stomach flu in medical terminology is known as Gastroenteritis. Stomach flu can be defined as the irritation of stomach and intestine. Stomach flu is also caused due to viral infected food. Many people tend to think that stomach flu is caused due to influenza virus but it is not so. It takes time to develop first visible sign of stomach flu. The most common symptoms of stomach flu are
Stomach flu is also known as 24 hrs flu as the symptoms subside itself with couple of days.
Effective Home Remedies for Food Poisoning and Stomach Flu:
Both stomach ailments can be cured at home with the help of simple and easy home remedies. Here are few effective and easy home remedies for curing food poisoning and stomach flu. These home remedies are used commonly for both the conditions.
- First thing is to avoid solid food completely and drink lot of water or juice. This will be helpful in keeping you hydrated.
- Avoid caffeinated, alcoholic or sugary beverages. Instead you can drink diluted sports drink to keep yourself hydrated.
- Once vomiting and nausea stops gradually you can start eating solid foods. But make sure that solid foods should easy to digest and plain. The best choice should be among rice, breads, cereals, wheat, potatoes, lean meat and chicken.
- On an empty stomach drink a cup of caraway tea thrice in a day. In a cup take 1 tsp of caraway seeds and add 1 cup of boiling water. Cover the cup and allow it to stand for 10 minutes, strain it and caraway tea is ready for drinking.
- You can even drink mint tea. Mint helps in easy movement of food through intestine and it also reduces stomach cramping.
- Cinnamon is highly effective in stimulating the digestive tract. You can consume cinnamon in the form of its tea. To a cup of boiling water add ¼ to ½ tsp of cinnamon powder. Allow it to stand for 5-10 minutes and drink.
- Eat few fennel seeds as they are effective in treating stomach cramps and gas. In case you don’t like to eat seeds then you prepare fennel tea.
- Ginger tea works best for stomach ailments. To a cup of boiling water add ½ tsp of grounded ginger and allow it to stand for at least 3-5 minutes. Strain the solution and drink.