15 Effective Home Remedies for Curing Mouth Ulcers
Are you finding difficulty in eating and drinking due to painful mouth ulcers?? But the question arises: What exactly mouth ulcers are?? Mouth ulcers can be defined as painful white sore on the tongue, gums, inner side of cheek and lips. Mouth ulcers are also known as Canker Sores. Best think about mouth ulcers is that they can be easily cured with easy home remedies.
Usually it is observed that mouth ulcers occur in clusters, rarely single. You can feel a burning and tingling sensation inside your mouth before a mouth ulcer pops up. Mouth ulcers are usually yellow or white in color encircled by red halos. Ulcers take about 7-10 days for healing. Ulcers can be grouped under three categories:
- Herpetiform Ulcers (cluster of 100 small painful ulcers)
- Minor Ulcers
- Large Ulcers
What are the possible Causes of Mouth Ulcers?
The various possible causes of mouth ulcers are listed below:
- Poor dental hygiene
- Bowel disease
- Biting of cheeks or lips
- Food allergies
- Nutritional deficiency like Vitamins especially B12 and C, Folic acid, Iron, etc.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Viral infection
- Excess consumption of spicy and acidic food
- Skin disease
- Minor injuries
Common Signs and Symptoms of Mouth Ulcers:
It is seen that ulcers generally form specifically between the teeth and on gums. The common signs and symptoms associated with mouth ulcers are listed below:
- Drinking, eating, swallowing and talking becomes painful experience
- Excessive salivation
- Bad breath
- Inflammation extending up to throat and tonsils
- Mild fever
- Severe condition may also lead to bleeding ulcers
Effective Home Remedies to Cure Mouth Ulcers:
Home remedies are the best and easiest way to cure mouth ulcers that to without any side effects. Some of the effective home remedies which can cure your painful mouth ulcers are listed below:
- Most effective home remedy for mouth ulcer is to chew few holy basil leaves with water twice in a day. This not only treats your ulcers but also prevents bad smell.
- Gargle at least 3-4 times in a day with fresh coconut milk.
- Alternately gargle with cold and hot water.
- Eat lot of raw salad especially raw onions. Onion contains lot of sulfur and it is effective in treating mouth ulcers.
- Drink lot of orange juice as deficiency of Vitamin C can lead to mouth ulcer.
- Eat lot of yogurt, buttermilk and cottage cheese.
- Mix small amount of sodium bicarbonate with water and use this solution as mouth rinse.
- Avoid eating spicy food especially meat, fish or any type of animal protein.
- Avoid eating sharp edged food like dry bread or potato chips. Also avoid lozenges, chewing gums, coffee, tobacco and any food which you think can trigger ulcer formation.
- Apply peppermint oil on the ulcers; this will relieve you from the irritation and pain.
- Thrice a day gently massage your affected gums with honey and coconut milk mixture.
- Until your mouth ulcers are cured make it a point to eat curd and banana daily in morning.
- Apply paste of honey and 1 tsp of powdered root bark of Indian Gooseberry on the affected area.
- Mulberry juice is highly beneficial in treating mouth ulcers.
- To 1 cup of water add 1tsp of coriander seeds, heat it till warm. Strain it and gargle with the solution 3-4 times a day.
Even after following these simple home remedies your mouth ulcers are not cured then it is advisable to visit your physician immediately.
Identifying the need for mouth ulcers home remedy:
Following are some of the identifiers for mouth ulcers and the ways it can be treated-
- Hormone Change – Mouth ulcers in young women can be treated by hormonal therapy.
- Nutritional Imbalances – Nutritional imbalances can also cause mouth ulcer. Deficiency of vitamin B12, folic acid and iron can trigger the formation of mouth ulcers. When patients are administered iron, folic acid and vitamin B12, the mouth ulcers heal faster.
- Digestion Problems – Indigestion and acute acidity can also cause mouth ulcers.
- Stress – Stress can also cause these sores. Vitamin B helps the body deal with stress conditions.
Through research, it is concluded that mouth ulcers can also be caused due to allergies and viruses. If above described symptoms are not treated well, they may lead to more severe condition including Canker sores, Cold sores, Leukoplakia, Candidiasis and Oral Cancer.
Diet Recommendation with mouth ulcers home remedy:
The most recommended diet for mouth ulcers are as follows –
- Fruits – Apple should be eaten as it has bactericidal properties and banana as it prevents gastric ulcers and acts as protectant for internal mucosa.
- Yogurt – Consume more yogurt as it contains acidophilus bacteria which can heal and prevent canker sores.
- Avoid foods which can exacerbate the condition such a lemon, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, plum, tomato, cherry, walnut, vinegar, chocolate etc.
- Moderate intake of meat
- Eat more whole grains, green and leafy vegetables as these foods are rich in vitamin B complex.
- Reduce alcohol consumption, vinegar, coffee and chewing gum.
- Avoids foods containing enough sugar or salt.
- Avoid dairy products, oily foods, cakes and candies.
Prevention of Mouth Ulcers:
Mouth ulcers can be prevented by following measures which can reduce their occurrence drastically –
- If the problem is due to some viral infection, make your immune system strong through exercise and health supplements.
- Green leafy vegetables can reduce the mouth sore conditions.
- Reduce consumption of animal fat and red meat.
- If food allergy is the cause, you should eliminate those foods.
- Hormone therapy can work for women who are identified with mouth sores sue to hormonal imbalance.
- Prevention can be possible only when the exact cause of mouth ulcers is known.