How to Avoid Altitude Sickness?
Altitude sickness is also known as acute mountain sickness (AMS) or soroche. This can arise in the high altitude because of less oxygen supply in the air. Generally people living in lower altitudes complain of giddiness, headache, stomach upset, etc while climbing on mountains, doing skiing, or backpacking. This is because their body is unable to adjust to less oxygen supply in the high altitudes. There are some home remedies that can help in avoiding altitude sickness.
Tips to Avoid Altitude Sickness :
Listed below are ways to avoid altitude sickness:
- Drink Water to Prevent Dehydration: In high altitudes, people have a tendency to breathe deep and fast. This can cause dehydration of the body. One can avoid dehydration and treat altitude sickness by drinking plenty of water and by checking that the urine is clear.
- Drink Lime/Lemon Soda: It is suggested that drinking lime or lemon soda can help in correcting electrolyte balance. This can prevent vomiting, thereby treating altitude sickness. You can take a glass of fresh lime or lemon soda.
- Drink Ginkgo Biloba: Experts recommend Ginkgo as herbal supplement that can help in promoting blood circulation. Increased circulation of blood means more blood supply to our brain and so more oxygen, thus curing altitude sickness. You can take 60 mg of Ginkgo and drink it everyday for at least five days before ascending.
- Ginger: Ginger root is considered anti-emetic. Anti-emetic means ginger can prevent nausea and vomiting. Drinking ginger tea can help in treating altitude sickness by preventing nausea. You can also add 20 drops of ginger juice in about half cup of water to treat altitude sickness.
- Avoid Exercise Till You Adjust: By engaging in activities such as hiking, running, etc. one can aggravate the symptoms of high altitude. Experts suggest that if one shows mild symptoms of high altitude, the first few days should be spent doing leisurely walk. By doing this one can give his body the time to adjust to high altitude. If one experience severe symptoms, he should immediately go down few thousand feet to check if there is any improvement. He should also consult a doctor.
- Avoid Diary and Milk Products: Experts suggest that till one is adjusted to high altitude, one should avoid taking dairy and milk products. Such products can worsen the symptom of vomiting and nausea and can aggravate altitude sickness.
- Eat Easily digestible Food: The symptom of altitude sickness can be treated by taking diet that is easily digestible. You can take a diet of toast, potatoes, pasta, bananas, rice, etc that can give you the necessary energy without aggravating your symptoms.
If you have history of altitude sickness, you can inform your friends or your group about it before travelling in high altitudes. You should also tell them about your medicines so that they can help you when you need it. It means carrying your medicines or taking necessary precautions so that the situation does not go out of hand.