Old Fashioned Cough Remedies
Cough is the reflex action which clears the secretions, sputum, foreign particles etc. from the respiratory passages. There are many old fashioned home remedies which are as effective as over-the-counter medications to relieve the cough.
Old Fashioned Cough Remedies:
Old fashioned cough remedies, even though old, can relieve your irritating cough. Here are a few of them:
- Grapes: Many recommend not eating grapes when you have cough. However, grapes tone up your lungs and are effective in treating cough. For this, make a glass of grape juice and mix a teaspoon of honey and drink it. This juice acts as an expectorant and helps in treating cough
- Almonds: Almonds are helpful in treating dry cough. Soak almonds in water overnight and peel the skin in the morning. Now grind the almonds into a fine paste and add about 20 gm of butter and sugar to it. This paste can be consumed in the morning and evening
- Onions: Raw onions for cough is one of the important old fashioned cough remedies. Make raw onion juice and add a teaspoon of honey to it. Keep this aside for 4 to 5 hours. Drink this juice twice daily. Second preparation includes crushing of raw onions and adding lemon juice to it. Add one glass of boiling water to this. Honey can also be added for better taste. This preparation is effective in treating phlegm
- Turmeric: Turmeric roots are good for treating cough. For this, roast the turmeric roots and powder them. Consume about 3 gm of this dose, two times daily.
- Raisins: Grind a mixture of 100 gm resins and water. Add about100 gm sugar to this. Heating this preparation will result in a sauce. Take about 20 gm of this preparation daily at bedtime
Old fashioned cough remedies are easy to prepare and consume. Hence, the next time you have a cough, use these herbal remedies for treatment