Natural Remedies for OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
What is OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)?
OCD is a psychological condition in which the individual is troubled with repeated distressing thoughts that are in the form of images or random experiences. They are accompanied by exaggerated and unreal experiences. To deal wit this is difficult and to do so, individuals develop defense mechanisms where they resort to actions that will help them distract and get rid of these thoughts. Although the exact causes of this disorder are yet unknown, there are some natural treatments that can be effective.
Natural remedies for OCD :
There are some home remedies like kava-kava and Valerian root that can help treat this disorder and give relief.
- Kava-Kava: It is used in herbal medications to cure insomnia and anxiety and can be very helpful for OCD as well. But it might have some side-effects on the liver in some cases.
- Valerian root: It helps sleep better and reduces anxiety and daytime drowsiness after a few weeks of use. It is not addictive and can be used for substantial periods of time.
- St. John’s Wort: It is used to treat anxiety and depression and has been found to be helpful for OCD patients as well. It is not known to have side-effects.
- Gotu Kola: It is used to treat depression and anxiety, especially in Chinese medicine. It has been found to be helpful for OCD patients as well.
- American ginseng: It helps in reduction of anxiety although research is still on with this herb. It reduces anxiety-related behavior.
- Vitamin B12: Deficiency of this vitamin can cause or worsen this condition as it is important for physiological and biochemical processes.
- Yoga and meditation: Yoga postures and meditative practices can help calm the mind, reducing anxiety and improving mental calmness.
You must consult your doctor about the use of these herbs as some of them can react negatively with prescription medications.
Diet for OCD :
You should have a nutritious and healthy diet. Your diet should be rich in Vitamins, especially Vitamins B12, C and D. Also, including foods that are rich in magnesium and Omega fatty acids is advisable. Increase your in take of EFAs or essential fatty acids as this also helps a lot.
Causes of OCD :
The causes of OCD as as yet unknown although nutritional deficiencies may be once of the causes. Research is still on regarding this as, being a psychological problem, it is difficult to pinpoint exact causes easily.
Symptoms of OCD :
- Unwanted thoughts, images and rituals that are continuously repeated in the mind
- Anxiety, fear and restlessness
- Repeated identical behavior
- Dangerous behavior like drug and alcohol abuse