Eliminate Bad Breath – Top 14 Home Tips
Halitosis, a condition of foul smelling mouth is a result of bacterial activity in the mouth. After eating anything the bacteria in the mouth break the food particles and cause plaque and tartar and causes Bad Breath
Eliminate Bad Breath
This is caused by this condition many simple home remedies like baking soda, drinking lots of water, mint, fennel seeds, cardamom, and many other kitchen ingredients are effective. Apart from these treatments high oral hygiene should be maintained.
Why Mouth Smells Bad?
Bacteria are present everywhere including the mouth. These bacteria break the stuck food particles into glucose and proteins. Further action of these microorganisms break the protein and glucose into sulfur compounds called Volatile Sulfur Compounds. These sulfur compounds are responsible for the bad odor in the mouth.
Causes Of Halitosis:
Following are some of the reasons why we suffer from bad breath problem.
- Lack of good oral hygiene standards. Avoiding brushing the teeth, flossing, and rinsing the mouth with a good mouthwash.
- Bleeding gums, gingivitis, inflammation of gums, etc.
- Tooth decay.
- Sinusitis problem.
- Low or bad digestion.
- Dry mouth caused by dehydration, smoking, fasting, drinking alcohol, excess of caffeine etc.
- Anaerobic bacteria that grow in dry mouth in the absence of water and oxygen.
- Bad liver health.
- Certain drugs that cause dryness in mouth.
- Certain types of foods that have pungent smell such as onions, garlic, or diet with high protein content.
Symptoms Of Bad Breath:
The following symptoms are only the most common signs which can be moderate to severe changing from individual to individual.
- Bad odor emanating from the mouth even when no pungent or strong food has been eaten.
- A film of yellow or white color can be seen on the tongue.
- The mouth is usually dry.
- The taste in the mouth is usually sour, bitter, or metallic.
Post nasal drainage.
- Presence of white colored nodules on the tonsils. etc
Tips To Eliminate Bad Breath:
Bitter taste in the mouth, foul smell, dry mouth, and yellow or white color layer on the tongue are some of the symptoms of this halitosis.
The bacteria present in the mouth grow and flourish in the dry environment and are called anaerobic. To eliminate these bacteria, the simplest remedy is to drink water.The oxygen in water suffocates this type of bacteria which grows in the absence of water and generates bad odor. Washing these bacteria is an effective treatment.
- Drink plenty of water through out the day and do not let the mouth dry. This does not allow the bacteria to grow and emanate foul smell.
- Baking Soda:
Baking soda is a very popular home remedy to inhibit the bacterial growth and prevent bad breath problem. Baking soda is very effective in changing the pH levels and in creating a damaging and bitter atmosphere for the bacteria to survive in the mouth.This remedy is also very useful in whitening the teeth color and also preventing gingivitis problem.
- A simple mixture of salt and baking soda in the ratio of 1:3 is recommended to be used as effective home made toothpaste. Use this prepared mixture to clean the teeth.
Cardamom is not just used to make the breath smell nice and sweet but the anti-bacterial properties of this spice are also useful in fighting off the adverse effects of their presence.The anti-inflammatory and the antiseptic nature of the spice also reduce the swelling of the gums, which is again a potential cause of halitosis. Cineol compound of cardamom is excellent in treating the problem.
- To fight bacteria and the bad breath chew the seeds of cardamom after each meal.
- Fennel Seeds:
The aromatic fennel seeds have properties to fight against bacteria and microbial activity and hence treat the foul smell of the mouth. Also, these seeds improve the saliva secretion which is unhealthy for the anaerobic bacteria. It has mouth refreshing properties.
- After each meal chew on raw or roasted fennel seeds. Or drink fennel seeds tea, by boiling a teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cup of water.
Mint refreshes the breath, and instantly fights the foul smell from the mouth. Fresh or dry leaves, both are useful in instantly but temporarily addressing the problem. It improves the breath, is used in many mouth washes, and tooth pastes.
- Chew raw leaves of mint. Or drink tea by boiling fresh or dried leaves in a cup of water. Or chew a mint candy that is not sugary.
Rich in chlorophyll, parsley creates unhealthy atmosphere for bacteria to grow and result in bad breath problem. It reduces the inflammation of the gums, fights gingivitis problem, and many other dental problems that cause the condition.
- Eat parsley raw. Or include it in cooking. Or boil it in some water and gargle with it. Or drink the juice extract of it.
Cloves are an old folk remedy for many dental problems and tooth ache and are also considered a good treatment for the bad odor emanating from the mouth.The anti-inflammatory attributes decreases the swelling and the bleeding of the gums, the anti-bacterial characteristics prevent bacteria from growing and causing bad smell, and the anti-septic properties inhibit and treat harmful effects of microorganisms.
- Eat a clove after each meal. Or gargle with a mouthwash with clove as a main ingredient.
Certain varieties of cheese are very useful in treating the condition effectively. Blue, camembert, and roquefort are some of the varieties of cheese that are strong in their odor and they help get rid of the bad odor of sulfur compounds in the mouth and leave their own smell. These types are high in calcium, but low in milk sugar i.e. lactose.
- Eat these cheeses very often if not daily to treat the problem.
- Honey Mouth Wash:
Honey is a world known antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antifungal. It is very useful in reducing the swelling and bleeding gums problem because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-septic attributes.
- In a cup of lukewarm water add a drop of peppermint and anise oil, and a teaspoon of honey. Mix well and gargle with it after brushing teeth.
- Apple Cider Vinegar:
The mild acid nature of apple cider vinegar is a very threatening cure for the bacteria that breaks the food into sulfur compounds. It also adjusts the pH levels in the mouth and creates an atmosphere difficult for the bacterial growth.It improves digestion and also relieves constipation problem. Constipation too is a cause for foul smell emanating from the mouth.
- Add quarter teaspoon of baking soda, one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of lukewarm water. Mix well in a large bowl as the ingredients will react with each other. Gargle with the solution.
- Hydrogen Peroxide:
The anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-septic nature of hydrogen peroxide kills the bacteria in the mouth responsible for emanating bad smell, and causing many other dental problems like plaque and tartar. It greatly reduces dental pain caused by gingivitis or because of any other problem.Caution should be followed while using it, and should never be used in its concentrated form. Use hydrogen peroxide very occasionally.
- Take equal parts of lukewarm water and 3% hydrogen peroxide and add a pinch of baking soda and salt to it. Mix all the items and gargle with it not more than 30 seconds and do not swallow it ever. If the solution is not pleasant then add water, hydrogen peroxide and a drop of peppermint oil.
Citric acid in lemon plays a vital role in eliminating foul breath problem. It refreshes the mouth, clears the white, yellow bacterial layer on the tongue, treats the issue of mild plaque and tartar, and inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth.Lemon also balances the pH level which discourages halitosis. It stops bleeding gums trouble, and relieves tooth ache issue. The juice extract of lemon also improves digestion and cures the associated issues.
- Take two cups of lukewarm water and add half to full teaspoon of lemon juice. Gargle with the solution. Include lemon in daily cooking too.
Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory and heals any gum diseases and tooth pain very well. The compounds in rhizome that gives the aromatic flavor to this spice have many medicinal properties that are very beneficial in treating the condition. Ginger kills the anaerobic bacteria, induces saliva secretion, and is a natural mouth freshener.It has many other medicinal uses and is good for digestion and is also useful in sinus treatment. Sinus is also one of the reasons for halitosis. It relieves tooth ache, gum pain, and also whitens the teeth.
- Chew raw piece of ginger. Or include it in food. Or gargle with the water in which crushed ginger is boiled. Or take a teaspoon of ginger juice with lemon and honey twice a day.
- Crispy Fruits And Vegetables:
The food particles stuck in between the teeth are acted upon within 20 minutes of eating anything. The best method to floss or remove these particles is to eat crispy fruits and vegetables after meals.Also, the water content in these crispy vegetables and fruits kills the anaerobic bacteria and do not allow the bacteria to turn these food particles into plaque and tartar, and prevent many dental problems. Try and avoid fruits that are high in sugar content.
- Eat celery, parsley, kale, carrots, cucumber, apples, pear, etc. after each meal. This will help auto-floss.
These simple preventive measures can help you avoid the trouble and have a healthy oral condition.
- Ideally teeth should be brushed after each meal, but if that is too much of work then do it at least twice a day.
- The particles of food that are trapped in between the teeth can be removed with the help of flossing. When these particles are removed bacteria will starve. Do it once every morning.
- Rinsing the mouth with a good mouthwash is very eminent. The stuck food that cannot be removed by flossing, and bacteria all are flushed out by gargling or rinsing with a mouthwash. Rinse mouth at least once a day if not after every meal.
- Avoid eating foods that are rich in oil, spices, sugar etc.
- Avoid processed and packaged food.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners.
- Avoid carbonated drinks. They dry the mouth.
- Prefer tea over coffee, as the latter coats the tongue with a compound that prevents oxygen supply to the tongue. Coffee is good for anaerobic bacteria. So, switch to tea, but not in excess amounts.
- Avoid drinking alcohol. This too dries the tongue and mouth and promotes the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Eat more salads or fruits when hungry than eating oily, fried, or other unhealthy edibles.
- Get candidiasis treated.
- Eat small, regular meals.
- Avoid tobacco and smoking. This again dries the mouth.
- Chew on gums that are laden with sugar.
- Clean the tongue after each snack or food.
These are some of the preventive steps, causes, symptoms, and home remedies to eliminate bad breath problem. Along with these tips, it is also recommended that a visit to a dentist every 6 months is necessary. This will filter out any major problem and can be addressed at the basic level itself.