Burning Stomach Pain – Simple Home Cures
I am not a foodie! That is a fact, but there are times when I love to indulge myself sometimes. Two days ago, I over ate my favorite biryani to my heart’s content. And, as expected it resulted in Burning Stomach Pain. Over the years I have managed to know my digestive system well and some home remedies like buttermilk, cold water, peppermint leaves, fresh ginger root, and honey are always stocked in my kitchen.
Home Remedies For Burning Stomach Pain:
Acid refluxes, trapped gas, peptic ulcers, gastritis – inflammation of the intestinal mucus lining, and some infection are some of the causes the problem. Following are some of the home treatments to cure it.
- Thyme treats flatulence problem, reduces the swelling of the mucosal lining of the intestine, and alleviates the pain and burning sensation caused by acid reflux.
- Boil a teaspoon of dried thyme in a cup of water and drink it twice a day.
- Eat bland food which helps neutralize the digestive acids. Bland food is easier to digest and does not require extra production of acids to break it. Less acid produced to digest means less pain and burning feeling in the stomach.
- Eat boiled vegetables, rice etc without many spices and much oil added to it.
- Ginger reduces the inflammation of the intestines, releases trapped gasses, and soothes the irritation and burning if caused by ulcer.
- Drink ginger tea or chew it with honey or take a teaspoon of its extract.
- Peppermint is used for many stomach related conditions like easing the muscles to relieve the gas problem, treat intestinal cramps, and has cooling effect on the burning caused by acid refluxes.
- Drink peppermint tea twice a day. Boil a teaspoon of fresh or dried leaves of peppermint in a cup of water and drink.
- Yogurt or buttermilk can ease the pain and uncomfortable feeling associated with acidity, lesions on the intestine, urinary tract infection, or other digestive system problems.
- Eat a serving of yogurt twice a day or with each meal. Or drink a glass of buttermilk twice a day.
- Honey treats many stomach related problems and is beneficial in treating stomach ulcers, lesions on the intestine, and acidity problem.
- Take a teaspoon of honey everyday, or add a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon to it and consume for further benefits.
- Banana and other fruits like watermelon not only soothe the burning, but also treat the problem of heart burn, and acidity.
- Eat bananas everyday.
- Chamomile reduces the pain caused by the condition, eases the tensed intestinal muscles and releases any trapped gasses, comforts the irritated stomach and has a sedative effect.
- Drink chamomile tea. Take a cup of water and boil a teaspoon of dried chamomile petals for a few minutes and drink it.
- Coconut water soothes the irritated intestinal lining and provides instant relief from the burning sensation in the stomach. It also energizes the body and has a cooling effect on it.
- Drink fresh coconut water twice a day until the pain and the acid reflux subsides.
Important Points To Prevent Burning Pain:
- Burp in case the burning is because of the trapped gasses. Do not suppress it.
- Avoid eating spicy and oily food. It is difficult to digest.
- Eat more complex carbohydrates like pasta, brown bread etc.
- Avoid tobacco, alcohol, and certain medical drugs that can cause stomach burn.
- Drink cold water for instant relief.
- Avoid binging on food. Eat small, nutritious 4-6 meals a day.
- Do not skip any meal of the day.
- Exercise everyday for at least 30- to 40 minutes.
- Include lots of leafy greens, vegetables, and fruits in the diet. But watch out the intake of citrus fruits. They can contribute towards acidity.
- Drink milk but not on empty stomach, it will aggravate the condition.
These are only some of the many tips and burning stomach pain cures found in the kitchen, but if these remedies do not help you, then it is time to visit a doctor.