How To Remove Hair Nits – Top 6 Tips
How To Remove Hair Nits
Lice are not easy to get rid of! I know it personally because for many years I suffered from it. Scratching the head like crazy, itchiness, red bumps on head and neck, are some of the symptoms. Hair Nits are the eggs of lice that are on the hair shafts. The problem of lice and nits can be treated effectively at home by using simple ingredients like neem leaves, mayonnaise, petroleum jelly, onions, beet root leaves, and lemon juice etc.
Home Remedies For Hair Nits And Lice Problem:
The following home cures will not only stop the lice from growing but will also destroy the nits or eggs and prevent the condition from growing further.
The acidic and bitter nature of lemon juice creates an unhealthy and suffocating environment for the lice to grow and for the nits to exist and hatch. It is also helpful in treating the dandruff problem, destroying eggs of lice, and killing them.
- Directly rub lemon juice to the scalp for 15 minutes and wash it with a shampoo. Or mix equal parts of lemon juice and vinegar and add 1 or 2 egg yolks to it. Use this mixture to get rid of the problem.
The bitter taste of neem leaves and its seed oil are a good home remedy for killing lice and destroying their eggs. These little blood sucking insects are tackled because of the anti-insecticidal properties of neem. Use olive and tea tree oil. These oils too are used in killing the lice.
- Mix 2 parts of neem oil and 1 part each of olive and tea tree oil. Mix thoroughly and massage the scalp. Wait for 30-60 minutes before rinsing it off. Or soak the leaves in water for some time and grind it into a paste. Use this paste to smear the scalp and hair and leave it for 2 hours before rinsing.
The high fat mayonnaise is used as one of the remedies to suffocate the lice on the hair and on the scalp and kill them. It also removes the nits or eggs and treats the condition right.
- Apply a good amount of mayonnaise and slather each hair strand with it and cover it with a plastic cover for a couple of hours and then wash it with a regular shampoo.
- Petroleum Jelly:
Petroleum jelly damages the eggs of lice and also suffocates and kills the mature insects. But, the only problem with this method is that it cannot be washed away instantly. It needs lot many washes to get rid of the jelly.
- Slather the hair with petroleum jelly and cover it with a shower cap or a plastic wrap. Keep this for an hour and then wash it off.
Onions are pungent to smell and can act as an excellent anti-insecticidal for killing the blood sucking insects. The sulfur in the onions juice extract will kill the lice and eventually remove the nits after three successive treatments.
- Take 2 onions and extract their juice. Massage the hair and scalp with it and leave for an hour or two before washing it off with water and shampoo.
Garlic has a pungent smell to it that does not allow insects like lice to grow and flourish. The smell of garlic suffocates these little insects and gets rid of the problem.
- Crush 2 garlic cloves and mix it with lemon juice or tea tree oil and massage the head with it. Wait for an hour or two before washing the hair. Continue this treatment for 5 days continuously to clear the nits.
- Lice problem is more prevalent in the school kids. This is passed on from one person to another. Hence, avoiding proximity with other kids who are infested with lice is better.
- Avoid sharing combs.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and wash your hair with warm water.
- Change the pillow covers, bed sheets, etc regularly.
- Avoid sharing towels.
- Look for any symptoms like itchy scalp, or bumps on neck and head.
Try the above mentioned simple home remedies to get rid of hair nits before it becomes a full blown problem. If none of the above tips help then it is time to see a doctor.